Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sunglasses in the Custodian Closet ~ By Aurelia

I'm new to the Smile Cards, but here's my first experience with the cards.
I work in a school and after all the kids are gone for the day a sweet young lady Claire comes in to clean the school classrooms and offices. I'm there late once a week and I often chat for a few minutes with her.

She always makes me feel so good because she's not full of herself and instead she wants to hear about me or will talk about her children. Our conversations are always great.
Last week she wasn't her happy self and told me how her husband had lost his job of 15 years and that she didn't know what they would do without his income.

I wanted to cheer her up some how, but couldn't think of anything at that time. Later that week I was in a department store I noticed all the pretty summer clothing and racks of sunglasses. I tried on several pairs and finally found the perfect pair, and I smiled at my reflection in the mirror, then I thought, "Wow Claire would look great in these!" I already had a pair that would be fine again this year, so I bought the glasses for Claire.

I was too excited to wait until my one late night that I worked, so I put them in a pretty bag and left them in the custodians closet for her!
When I came in the next day a fellow employee told me that she was talking to Claire as she went to the closet and opened it. When Claire saw the bag and took out the sunglasses and read the Smile Card her face lit up! She put the glasses on and smiled a BIG grin. She said she hadn't had anything to smile about in a few days and it felt good.

She left me a note about how she was having a rough day and that my act of kindness meant so much to her. It made me feel good knowing that I got her the sunglasses instead of myself. I wish I could do more for her, but at least she knows I am thinking of her even when I'm not at work. I look forward to creating more Smile Moments.

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments:

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online